Go Programming talk [OT]

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Jun 6 15:13:36 PDT 2010

A recent talk about Go, Google I/O 2010 - Go Programming, the real talk stops at about 33 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleDevelopers#p/u/9/jgVhBThJdXc

At 9.30 you can see the switch used on a type type :-)
You can see a similar example here:
http://golang.org/src/pkg/exp/datafmt/datafmt.go
Look for the line
switch t := fexpr.(type) {

Originally Go was looking almost like a toy language, I thought Google was thinking of it as a toy, but I now think Google is getting more serious about it, and I can see Go has developed some serious features to solve/do the basic things.

So maybe Andrei was wrong, you can design a good flexible language that doesn't need templates.

Compared to Go D2 is way more complex. I don't know if people today want to learn a language as complex as D2.

Go target flexibility and performance is not C++-class one (but probably it's not too much difficult to build a compiler able to produce very efficient Go programs).

In the talk they show some interfaces and more things done with free functions, I don't know those things get compiled in assembly.

Bye,
bearophile