Marketing of D - article topic ideas?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jun 7 11:24:01 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Yea, that's a good example of why I've grown a distaste towards
> hard-and-fast religious design strategies. The designer inevitably comes
> across cases where it just doesn't work particularly well, and then they're
> forced to either stay true to their misguided principles by accepting an
> awkward problematic design, or contradict their alleged principles and go
> with a better design. And when they do the latter, that runs the risk of
> causing problems in other areas that had been relying on the old principle
> being rigidly followed.

D has design principles, but those principles are often contradictory. I don't
see a good reason to follow a design principle out of principle if it destroys
the utility of the language.

For example, consider:

     version (unittest)

'unittest' is a keyword, not an identifier. Making this work requires a special
case in the grammar. But the alternatives,

     version (Unittest)
     version (unit_test)
     version (unittests)

etc. are all much worse than simply violating a principle and putting the
special case in.