Marketing of D - article topic ideas?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Jun 7 14:12:47 PDT 2010

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 14:06:24 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> ""Jérôme M. Berger"" <jeberger at free.fr> wrote in message
> news:hujboe$tp2$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> I actually find that funny. Something in Java that isn't an Object? I
>>> remember "Everything's an object!" being paraded around as a selling
>>> point.
>>>
>> Yes, in Java, everything is an object except where that bothered
>>the language "designers". There are several such design decisions in
>>Java...
>
> Yea, that's a good example of why I've grown a distaste towards
> hard-and-fast religious design strategies. The designer inevitably comes
> across cases where it just doesn't work particularly well, and then
> they're forced to either stay true to their misguided principles by
> accepting an awkward problematic design, or contradict their alleged
> principles and go with a better design. And when they do the latter,
> that runs the risk of causing problems in other areas that had been
> relying on the old principle being rigidly followed.

Part of the "religious" feel of Java comes from the fact that it runs on
a VM. The safe memory model imposes some restrictions as you might have
noticed in SafeD. The 'everything is an Object' idea is a bit broken,
performance-wise. That's why C# added reified types. The reason they
added primitive types has a rationale behind it. The decision made the VM
a useful tool for real enterprise applications.