Wide characters support in D

Ruslan Nikolaev nruslan_devel at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 20:59:26 PDT 2010

--- On Tue, 6/8/10, Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you really need to look more into what templates
> are and do.

Excuse me? Unless templates are something different in D (I can't be 100% sure since I am new D), it should be the case. At least in C++, that would be the case. As I said, for libraries you need to compile every commonly used instance, so that user will not be burdened with this overhead.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/template.html

> There is also going to be very little performance gain by
> using the
> "system type" for strings. Considering that most of the
> work is not
> likely going be to the system commands you mentioned, but
> within D itself.

It depends. For instance, if you work with files, write on the console output, use system functions, use Win32 api, DFL, there can be overhead.