Wide characters support in D

Ruslan Nikolaev nruslan_devel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 01:15:50 PDT 2010

> I'm well aware why UTF-32 is useful. Earlier, you had
> started out saying
> that there should only be one string type, the OS-native
> type. Now you're
> changing your tune and saying that we do need multiple
> types.

No. From the very beginning I said "it would also be nice to have some builtin function for conversion to dchar". That means it would be nice to have function that converts from tchar (regardless of its width) to UTF-32. The reason was always clear - you normally don't need UTF-32 chars/strings but for some character analysis you might need them.