Questions about Unicode, particularly Japanese

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jun 8 13:16:19 PDT 2010

"Matti Niemenmaa" <see_signature at for.real.address> wrote in message
news:hum6ft$2jar$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2010-06-08 22:27, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> <snip>

Thanks for the helpful response :)

> I recommend http://rishida.net/scripts/uniview/ for searching through
> Unicode.

Ahh, I'd been wanting a good Unicode equivalent to an ASCII chart. That
seems to do nicely.

>> 6. Are there other languages with similar things for which the answers to
>> and #4 are different? (And if so, how does Phobos/Tango handle it?)
>
> Factor has pretty good support for Unicode:
>
> http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-unicode.html

Actually, I meant other human-languages. Like, are there other combining
characters for some language other than Japanese that are indended to be
compared as unequal to their corresponding singe-code-point version?

>> 7. I assume Unicode doesn't have any provisions for Furigana, right? I
>> assume that would be outside the scope of Unicode, but I thought I'd ask.
>
> There's:
>
> U+FFF9  INTERLINEAR ANNOTATION ANCHOR
> U+FFFA  INTERLINEAR ANNOTATION SEPARATOR
> U+FFFB  INTERLINEAR ANNOTATION TERMINATOR
>
> But it's usually recommended to use some kind of ruby markup instead. See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character#Ruby_in_Unicode

Thanks. I was wondering about those being there but not being recommended,
so I followed that link and the footnote, and found the following very
helpful explanation:

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr20/#Interlinear

Their explanation is easy to understand, but basically, they're there as a
convenience for internal use by an application. It don't provide other
information that would normally be important for markup, such as where to
position it. And it's not easily displayable in plain-text-only-modes
without the risk of subtly changing the meaning.

Any idea if "Ruby markup" has anything to do with the Ruby programming
language? It's not clear from that Wikipedia article.