Experimenting with std.all

sybrandy sybrandy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:45:57 PDT 2010

> We're discussing adding the all-inclusive module std.all to Phobos. That
> should simplify scripting. My experiments indicate that the cost of
> parsing all of std.all is small in an empty program, but I haven't
> tested things with actual programs.
>
> If anyone would like to test things and come back with results and
> impressions, I paste the content of std.all at the end of this. Just
> paste the code into a module of yours and then include that module in
> your regular code.
>
> For some reason, std.bigint has some issues so I commented it out. It's
> also possible that you don't have std.container installed, so I
> commented that out too.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

<snip>

As long as no unneeded code is imported as a result, that's cool.  I
like it a lot.  I just know from a project I worked on that M$ has an
import that looks innocuous, however it imported a large chunk of it's
standard library in one shot.  Needless to say, it made analyzing the
software much more difficult and I believe it made the resulting files
bigger as a result.

I can't recall any more than that as it's been a few years.

Casey