Go Programming talk [OT] - C is simple enough!???

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jun 11 10:50:16 PDT 2010

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> He seems to particularly dislike function overloading which is not only part
> of D but pretty integral to object-oriented programming in general, so my
> guess is that he wouldn't be all that enthused with any object-oriented
> language. At minimium, it would have to give him something that he thought
> was definitely worth the extra cost of dealing with function overloading.
> While D certainly improves greatly on C++ (including in how it deals with
> function overloading), it's close enough to C++ that I suspect that he
> wouldn't like it either. But of course, he'd have to actually look at D and
> then tell us what he thought for us to know for sure.

I don't expect him to switch to anything. When you've built up such a store in
one language, it would take an incredible push to change.

Nevertheless, D has some features, such as transitive immutability and purity,
scope guard and memory safety, which are a nice fit for his style of programming.

What would be more likely is D features moving into C.