The design principles of D (aka The D Manifesto)

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Sun Jun 13 06:39:46 PDT 2010

Deeply nested in the thread "Marketing of D", the creator or D wrote

"D has design principles, but those principles are often contradictory.
I don't see a good reason to follow a design principle out of principle
if it destroys the utility of the language."

For the assurance of the believers, the swaying-over of the disbelievers
and for the amusement of the bystanders (the D-agnostics), it would be
great to have those design principles re-articulated here.

For my own satisfaction, I would like to know if the "D design
principles" (whatever they are) are concert with some fundamental axioms
from which the rest of the D language is formulated by induction or some
other mathematically/logically satisfying instrument.

So may I ask of the creator of D what exactly are the design principles
of the language.  In particular, I would be very interested to hear
whether or not the type system aspects of the language are coherent.

Cheers
Justin Johansson