The design principles of D (aka The D Manifesto)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jun 13 11:10:17 PDT 2010

"Justin Johansson" <no at spam.com> wrote in message
news:hv2n35$29rl$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Deeply nested in the thread "Marketing of D", the creator or D wrote
>
> "D has design principles, but those principles are often contradictory. I
> don't see a good reason to follow a design principle out of principle if
> it destroys the utility of the language."
>
> For the assurance of the believers, the swaying-over of the disbelievers
> and for the amusement of the bystanders (the D-agnostics), it would be
> great to have those design principles re-articulated here.
>
> For my own satisfaction, I would like to know if the "D design principles"
> (whatever they are) are concert with some fundamental axioms from which
> the rest of the D language is formulated by induction or some other
> mathematically/logically satisfying instrument.
>
> So may I ask of the creator of D what exactly are the design principles of
> the language.  In particular, I would be very interested to hear whether
> or not the type system aspects of the language are coherent.

Another one seems to be "pragmatism over religious adherence". (Like
dsimcha's, this one can be contrasted with Java.)

Also, "make the right thing easier, and the wrong thing harder".