Signed word lengths and indexes

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jun 14 15:43:51 PDT 2010

Byron Heads:
> Isn't this why D has foreach and foreach_reverse?

If you mean the exact problem the original article was talking about, then you are right.
But foreach and foreach_reverse are not enough to solve the general safety problem caused by the widespread usage of unsigned words in a language that at the same time has C conversion rules, uses mostly fixed-sized numbers and lacks run-time integral numerical overflows. Four things that if present at the same time create an explosive mix. I am happy to see that (if that quote is right) Google C++ coding standards agree with me about this.

Bye,
bearophile