Signed word lengths and indexes

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 15 14:25:22 PDT 2010

bearophile wrote:
> Justin Johansson:
>> To my interpretation this means that at sometimes trying to be clever is
>> actually stupid.
>
> A great programmer writes code as simple as possible (but not simpler).

I've never met a single programmer or engineer who didn't believe and recite
that platitude, and this includes every programmer and engineer who would find
very complicated ways to do simple things.

I've also never met a programming language advocate that didn't believe their
language fulfilled that maxim.

To me, it just goes to show that anyone can create a complex solution, but it
takes a genius to produce a simple one.