Signed word lengths and indexes

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Wed Jun 16 13:48:41 PDT 2010

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>>>     I can't isolate it to a minimal test case, but at my job, we make
>>> an image processing library. Since negative image dimensions don't
>>> make sense, we decided to define width and height as "unsigned int".
>>> Now, we have code that works fine on 32-bit platforms (x86 and arm)
>>> but segfaults on x86_64. Simply adding an (int) cast in front of the
>>> image dimensions in a couple of places fixes the issue (tested with
>>> various versions of gcc on linux and windows).
>>>
>>     Gotcha! See the attached test case. I will post the explanation for
>> the issue as a reply to give everyone a chance to try and spot the
>> error...
>
> Easy. offset should be a size_t, not an unsigned.

	And what about image width and height? Sure, in hindsight they
could probably be made into size_t too. Much easier and safer to
make them into signed ints instead, since we don't manipulate images
bigger than 2_147_483_648 on a side anyway...

	Which is more or less bearophile's point: unless you're *really*
sure that you know what you're doing, use signed ints even if
negative numbers make no sense in a particular context.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr