Review: std.msgpack

Rory McGuire rmcguire at neonova.co.za
Fri Jun 18 07:28:04 PDT 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 06:29:50 +0200, Andrei Alexandrescu

> There's one larger submission that needs review - Masahiro Nakagawa's
> std.msgpack. I think it would be great if this community established a
> review process. To do so, we should abstract away starting from at least
> one review :o). Here's Masahiro's work:
>
> code: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/374829/std/msgpack.d
> doc:  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/374829/std/msgpack.html
> zip:  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/374829/std_msgpack.zip (archives code and
> doc)
>
> Feel free to comment here.
>

> Andrei

If you're going to have a std.serialize surely it should be called that
and surely it should have various serialization drivers?

I'm not convinced that it makes sense to just have one binary
serialization mechanism when during debugging you might prefer it to use
xml or some text
based serialization mechanism.

I really like this serialization mechanism. It looks like its a simplified
copy of Hessian dsource.org/projects/hessiand. I like hessian a lot, I
even made my own simple hessian implementation (not hessiand thats by
someone else).

msgpack seems to rely on a IDL compiler I don't think it should be in the
standard library if this is the case, better to have something that
automatically generates the code from an interface and then uses a xml,
binary, ini, etc... driver to generate the serialized/de-serialized data.

Just my two cents.

-Rory

PS: your book is awesome, really well written.