Improving std.regex(p)

div0 div0 at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 19 14:24:12 PDT 2010

On 19/06/2010 20:39, Ben Hanson wrote:
>  From memory (Joel did a PDF recently, but that is on my works machine) Joel has
> been developing Spirit for over ten years. The latest version is pretty
> sophisticated and has all kinds of clever stuff for directly parsing data in
> structures all inline etc. Needless to say, I find the whole thing pretty mind
> boggling. The biggest problem (as far as I can see as an observer) is the
> compile times. This is where D could be really interesting overall (Hartmut has
> certainly got his eye on it and in fact I'm sure all the Boost people do).

I ported most of the classic version of spirit to d a while back.
I've recently written a XML parser using it and it takes nearly 7 whole
seconds to compile with DMD, which is a vast amount of time compared to
rest of the stuff I compile. :)

The most trivial spirit parser in c++ takes over 30 seconds on my
machine, even with everything in the pre compiled header. D is just a
massive win for productively.

--
My enormous talent is exceeded only by my outrageous laziness.
http://www.ssTk.co.uk