Where will D be in 2015 in the programming language ecosphere?

BCS none at anon.com
Sat Jun 19 21:10:06 PDT 2010

Hello dsimcha,

> For
> the lower-level systems programming case, the requirement for a
> runtime (even if it's a fairly lightweight one) and the lack of fine
> control over things like binary size (due to templates, etc.) will
> limit usefulness.  Yes, these problems can be worked around, but doing
> so requires sticking to so much of a C-like subset that you may as
> well just use C.

Maybe someone should make a DMD-EE ("embedded edition") with a truly minimal
runtime and library along with a compiler patched to support it (e.g. no
GC, no AA's, no hidden memory allocations, no new/delete, D-ified versions
of the c std lib). The DMD patch shouldn't be to hard, the runtime would
mostly amount to dropping stuff and the lib would mostly just copy some stuff
from phobos and wrapping, porting or binding (depending on what's more reasonable)
stuff from C.

I'd offer to do it but I have almost no experience in any of those.

--
... <IXOYE><