A web server with D

Rory McGuire rmcguire at neonova.co.za
Mon Jun 21 01:35:29 PDT 2010

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:54:26 +0200, Mengu <mengukagan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been interested in and learning D for a while and currently
> developing
> a web development IDE with it. I can say that I have a middle level
> knowledge
> that I have been trying to increase. Anyway. I want to develop a web
> server
> for Python and Ruby web applications some months later from now,
> after completing the IDE. But until then I want all my research to be
> completed and I have enough knowledge that I need to develop this web
> server,
> in addition to D and within D.
>
> So, my two questions are these:
>
>   1) What do I need to know in order to develop a web server, generally?
>   2) What do I need to know within D to make this good enough?
>
> Thanks everyone in advance.

read the web server related RFCs, not just HTTP (e.g. also MIME).
try to keep everthing re-usable, e.g. make a library and a web server.
make sure you allow re-writing of urls according to rules (see apache mod
rewrite) and:
SSL,
Virtual hosts (both named and IP based) (ssl doesn't support name based
virtual hosts),
access control.
Logging is also very important.