Operator Precedence Table in Online Docs

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:24:10 PDT 2010

There is not currently an explicit operator precedence table in the online
docs. While C/C++ is close enough that you can generally look at a C/C++
operator precedence table and figure it out if you need to, there are
definitely folks who would like a D precedence table to look at (the
question has come up on StackOverflow at least once). If nothing else, D
does add some operators, and being able to see where they fit in at a quick
glance would be useful. Not to mention, ideally, we wouldn't rely on C/C++
documentation to figure out D.

In any case, there is a fairly good operator precedence table (well,
expression precedence table) in TDPL on pages 61 - 63, and I was thinking
that it would be useful if some form of that table ended up in the online
documentation at some point. It's something that some folks will definitely
be looking for, and while I, personally, wouldn't look at all that often, it
is the sort of thing that I'd expect in good online docs for a language.

So, anyway, this overly windy post was just to say that we should add an
operator precedence table to the online docs. And there's already a good one
to work with in TDPL.

- Jonathan M Davis