String Literal Docs

div0 div0 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 22 10:20:22 PDT 2010

On 20/06/2010 20:14, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "div0"<div0 at users.sourceforge.net>  wrote in message
> news:hvlok6$1rfu$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 20/06/2010 18:55, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "div0"<div0 at users.sourceforge.net>   wrote in message
>>> news:hvkrsc$2r5c$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> "multiple of 2" == "even number"
>>>
>>> "Even" as in "even vs odd"
>>
>> I also said 'To me that implies'. Please don't take what I said out of
>> context and be a smart arse about it. There's more than enough of that
>> goes on round here.
>>

> That wan't my intent, sorry if it came across that way. It sounded to me
> like you were implying there was a difference between "multiple of 2" and
> "even number". If that wasn't the case, then I guess I'm just not sure what
> you were really getting at.

What I was getting at is that if you use the w suffix, then surely you
would expect the number of hex digits to be a multiple of 4 not 2.

If there are only 6 digits what then? Are the missing one inferred to be
0, is it a compile error, or something else?

Because of the use of the 2, I inferred from the spec that the suffixes
were not supposed to be allowed. If it had said even number of digits,
I'd have been more inclined to think that the suffixes are legal.

Either which way it just high lights that the spec isn't sufficiently clear.

--
My enormous talent is exceeded only by my outrageous laziness.
http://www.ssTk.co.uk