DMD Backend Long-term

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jun 22 19:28:45 PDT 2010

"BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff157f28cce05385dcf99a at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Nick,
>
>> Seems a weak reason. A programmer that's worried about infringing
>> software patents can't write anything more useful than "Hello World".
>> I'm seriously not convinced at all that it's even possible to write
>> useful code that doesn't technically infringe on some software patent.
>> As a programmer, either you accept the fact that what you do is
>> inevitably going to trample software patents, or you just simply don't
>> be a programmer. That's all there is.
>>

> Or keep an eye on what people have actually been sued over and don't do
> that.
>
> In this case I'd be surprised if it could stand up in court.

Especially since the Plaintiff would apperently be the modern-day Borland.
Do they even exist anymore? If they do, would they even be able to afford a
lawyer?

> Unless SEH is insanely convoluted to implement I can't see how the patent
> passes the non-obviousness criteria.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventive_step_and_non-obviousness
>
> I wonder if you can get a patent thrown out as invalid without someone
> infringing on it?

I've wondered that, too. Actually, I've wondered that about US laws in
general. Being a US citizen (and having passed the manditory "American
Government" class in high school) I probably *should* know... :/