DMD Backend Long-term

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jun 22 19:35:04 PDT 2010

"BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff1581a8cce05541b41e04 at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello bearophile,
>
>> Robert Jacques:
>>
>>> The patent seems to be Borlands's:
>>> USPTO patent #5,628,016 Patent held by Borland on compiler support
>>> for SEH.
>>> From a Wine wiki page:
>>> http://wiki.winehq.org/CompilerExceptionSupport
>>> It does seem to expire on June 15, 2014, though and I assume
>>> DigitalMars  has a license, so a LLVM fork is not unreasonable.
>>>
>> On Windows G++ supports exceptions. I have two questions:
>>
>> 1) Do you know how they do this? Do they have a license? If they have
>> a licence why don't LLVM people too have it?
>>

> The patent holder has refused licenses to all OSS projects. What GCC does
> is use a different system (something to do with tables). The patent is
> strictly for SEH.

So can't LLVM just take the same approach?

Also, accoroding to
http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0197/Exception/Exception.aspx (One of the links
on the page from Robert above), SEH is a service provided by Windows. So
wouldn't MS be the only one that would need a license? (I'm probably just
misunderstanding something here.)

Plus, do we even know that this is what's holding up LLVM exceptions on
Windows?