DMD Backend Long-term

BCS none at anon.com
Tue Jun 22 21:56:33 PDT 2010

Hello Nick,

> "BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
> news:a6268ff1581a8cce05541b41e04 at news.digitalmars.com...
>
>> Hello bearophile,
>>
>>> Robert Jacques:

>>> On Windows G++ supports exceptions. I have two questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Do you know how they do this? Do they have a license? If they
>>> have a licence why don't LLVM people too have it?
>>>
>> The patent holder has refused licenses to all OSS projects. What GCC
>> does is use a different system (something to do with tables). The
>> patent is strictly for SEH.
>>
> So can't LLVM just take the same approach?
>
> Also, accoroding to
> http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0197/Exception/Exception.aspx (One of the
> links on the page from Robert above), SEH is a service provided by
> Windows. So wouldn't MS be the only one that would need a license?
> (I'm probably just misunderstanding something here.)

The title of the patent leads me to believe that it covers compilers that
generate code that uses SEH.

> Plus, do we even know that this is what's holding up LLVM exceptions
> on Windows?

I've heard from someone who would know that the patent is the reason SEH
isn't in LLVM. I also have it from some (different someone) that LLVM should
in theory have setjump/longjump exception handling under windows but they
didn't even venture a guess if it actually worked. If it doesn't and if LDC
would use it if it were fixed I'd be interested in at least looking into
fixing it (LDC people???).

--
... <IXOYE><