DMD Backend Long-term

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Wed Jun 23 06:11:44 PDT 2010

bearophile wrote:
> Leandro Lucarella:
>> Yes, I don't think "copying with 'cosmetic changes'" works, legally
>> speaking. Otherwise everybody would be doing it.
>
> If 10% of changes is not legally enough, they LLVM dev can copy it and then change the 15% of it or even 20%. There must exist a minimum amount of differences between two blocks of code that allows them to be legally considered different, otherwise GNU is worse than a software patent.
>

> Nick Sabalausky:
>> Plus, do we even know that this is what's holding up LLVM exceptions on Windows?<
>
> The main LLVM dev(s) are hired by Apple, that I presume is not so worried of windows too much. What they want is people to think LLVM is a bit multi-platform, so they can contribute to the project for free.
> I'll restart helping the LLVM project when it has gained some exceptions for Windows :-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Hear, hear.  Sometimes the pendulum swings too far one way and then time
becomes due for it to swing back the other way.

Windows exception system (SEH - structured exception handling) does have
some nice things about it which are tedious if not difficult on other
platforms.  It would be gracious of LLVM to acknowledge this.

Cheers
Justin Johansson