I'd like to try D, but...

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Wed Jun 23 07:17:10 PDT 2010

Neal Becker wrote:
> My main interest is building python-callable modules (which I currently do
> with C++/boost::python).  Problem is, D can't be used for this, because it
> can't produce shared libraries (except on i386).  This is, as I understand
> it, because the D library/libraries are not built as PIC.
>
> This issue has been around for a _long_ time now.  Is there any hope?

While not wanting to intermingle your topic with mine just above (about
killing D1), I cannot envisage much hope so long as the limited
development resources are spread so thinly between D1, Safe D, D2 and
some vacuous D3.  My suggestion to close ranks around D2 are prompted by
a desire to see practical completion and implementation of the D
language as it now stands, right down to the coalface which includes
support for shared libraries on all platforms.  Until then, I won't be
abandoning C++ as the lack of D's shared library support for Linux has
in the past been a serious show-stopper for me.

Cheers
Justin Johansson