DMD Backend Long-term

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jun 23 12:57:36 PDT 2010

Thank you Jerome and all the people that have answered me, I was ignorant about GNU license.

> if you call a DLL and give it a callback and your callback throws then
> the cleanup code in the DLL won't be run (and vice versa of course).
> SEH would allow this to work.

If someone writes a compiler/language that allows programs to be ported with no problems from Windows to other nonwindows systems, this may damage Windows a little (but isn't Mono able to do this with C#2 programs?).

But it's economically advantageous for Microsoft to make it easy for people to create new compilers and languages for Windows that work well with other Windows programs. So in my opinion having a good Clang++ on Windows is good for the economic well-being of Windows. They can grant LLVM a free licence to use Windows-style exceptions.

Bye,
bearophile