The status of D2

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 08:17:21 PDT 2010

== Quote from Mike James (foo at bar.com)'s article
> Now that TDPL has been published and is now out in the wild what is the
> status of D2.
> Have all the features added been settled and now D2 is in the debug phase?
> Are all future releases now of D2 just going to be bug fixes?
> Is it worthwhile to start a largish project in D2?
> The website makes out D2 to be 'experimental and possible unstable' but with
> all the work being done on it (and the book) surely this has moved on now.
> -=mike=-

The language per se is stabilized and in the debug phase.  If you project is a
library that won't have too many dependencies, the answer is yes, D2 is ready.  On
the other hand, Phobos is still in a state of flux to some degree (though I doubt
there will be many breaking changes, especially non-trivial ones).  Libraries for
things like GUIs are even more in a state of flux.  Therefore, I don't recommend
writing a large-ish production application that needs to interact a lot with the
outside world through libraries in D2 yet.  A more self-contained but still
non-trivial application like a compiler, a command line utility, or a scientific
computing algorithm implementation, would be well suited to D2 as it stands now.