The X Macro

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Fri Jun 25 06:35:30 PDT 2010

Rory McGuire wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:11:53 +0200, Justin Johansson <no at spam.com> wrote:
>
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> http://www.drdobbs.com/blog/archives/2010/06/the_x_macro.html
>>>  Even though D doesn't have a text macro preprocessor, this can be
>>> done using string mixins and a bit of CTFE.
>>
>> Very cool article.  Thanks Walter, I'll try to remember to pass that
>> on to my grandkids :-)
>>
>> Also on that DDJ page I saw the ad for the Samsung Bada developer
>> challenge.
>>
>> http://developer.bada.com/challenge/index.do
>>
>> There is some decent $prize money on offer here.  Of course you have
>> to use the Samsung Bada SDK which I understand is C++.
>>
>> Naturally we would all delight in one of the winning entires being
>> some Bada app written in D.
>>
>> Now thinking about a killer app for D, me thinks it doesn't really
>> matter what that app really does or if even it is really lame.
>>
>> The real kill would come from a D app winning a prize in the Bada
>> Developer Challenge.
>>
>> So wadda you reckon?
>
> what processor/s are we talking about? I'm guessing ARM.
> GDC is a bit out dated isn't it? (GDC being the only D compiler that
> might support ARM processors)
>
> -Rory

ARM is probably right.  ARM, handhelds, mobile etc is where all the
action is at the moment.

You are dead right about GDC; it's dead and nowhere near D2.

D (D2) needs a marketing and rollout plan.  One good such plan would
embrace ARM, handhelds, mobile etc.

Hint, hint.  Golden (marketing) opportunities like this do not come
around very often.