Make D more public visible

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jun 26 11:51:18 PDT 2010

"BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff15bf58cce33805255eea at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello retard,
>
>> Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:26:19 +0000, BCS wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Simen,

>>> Why do you say that? After writing about half of that thread, I am of
>>> the opinion he holds his opinion for reason that have nothing to do
>>> worth NIH.
>>>
>> The sad fact is, there can't be many good stackoverflow kind of sites.
>> You can perhaps attract some part of the community, e.g. noobs or d
>> users in this case, but you can't beat stackoverflow anymore. What we
>> had before? Expert-sexchange. All kinds of crap with closed source
>> mentality. And national programming boards. Stackoverflow
>> revolutionized things, you can't beat it. And no, writing the web
>> server won't make it better/faster - it would just suck more. NIH.
>>

> I still don't see how that is NIH. The issues Nick brought up are
> implementation issues (the use of OpenID, mandatory JavaScript,

...JS nag banner...
...and no so much the use of OpenID, but the requirement of it for any login
(and the consequential "pushing" of OpenID).

> etc.) Under the constraints he has chosen to apply to him self, SO as
> implemented is effectively unusable. From what I remember, I suspect that
> if these issue were addressed Nick wouldn't have any problem using SO.

Exactly. (As long as they didn't screw up something else in the process.)

And I did make [polite] suggestions for these improvements awhile back, but
they were outright dismissed. It's clear they're not willing to fix any of
it.

And for the record, the anti-NIH horse gets trotted out far too often,
anyway. There used to be a well-known saying, "If you want something done
right, you have to do it yourself." (Experience frequently demonstrates that
to be true.) But then a bunch of managers (inherently stupid) and IT monkeys
showed up that didn't know anything about software and decided the best
thing to do in any conceivable situation is always to go out and buy
whatever package some salesman is pitching no matter how crappy it is. And
they defended their idiocy with a FUD-storm against anyone ever writing
anything in-house. And it worked, and now all the buzzword sheep out there
trot out that damn NIH garbage anytime there's a hint of someone wanting to
write something that's similar to something else that exists but sucks. (And
yes, of course there are extreme cases where NIH does occur to an absurd
degree, but those cases are far less common than the anti-NIH brigade would
[and does] have everyone believe.)