Status of std.xml (D2/Phobos)

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Sun Jun 27 07:42:24 PDT 2010

Lutger wrote:
> Justin Johansson wrote:

>>> May I ask is anybody working on redeveloping std.xml in the D2/Phobos
>>> library?  (Currently it looks like it needs to be started over from
>>> scratch)
>>>
>>> Also what is the level of interest from library users for decent XML
>>> support in D2/Phobos?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Justin Johansson
>> Lutger said: Interested, very much so. I think many people are.
>>
>> Simen said: Absolutely. It is a necessity.
>>
>> Thanks for fast replies from Lutger and Simen.
>>
>> Being an XML/W3C addict myself I well concur with Simen and Lutger's
>> sentiments.
>>
>> However, Lutger simply saying that he "thinks" *many* people are
>> interested is not good enough for me.
>
> Well I dare only speak for myself. But perhaps I do can better:
>
> Time and again complaints about std.xml surface, so that is one indicator. See
> this google query:
> http://www.google.nl/search?q=site%3Awww.digitalmars.com%2Fpnews+std.xml
>
> And this proposal to replace std.xml with kxml:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=109646
>
> Another point to consider is that dsource.org alone contains at least 5 xml
> projects (that I can see), some long abandoned but some seem to be active. There
> is also this code from Adam Ruppe: http://arsdnet.net/dcode/dom.d

Yes, understand.

One wonders how many people have been put off D (and perhaps not to
return) given such a large volume of hits under that URL, namely
http://www.google.nl/search?q=site%3Awww.digitalmars.com%2Fpnews+std.xml

On your other point about the 5+ XML projects on dsource.org, in your
opinion, which of these do you think have the most promise, or at least
a good grounding from which to start over?

Naturally I don't expect you to waste your time looking into these 5+
project; just if you happen to know.