Status of std.xml (D2/Phobos)

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sun Jun 27 20:37:14 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> Justin Johansson wrote:
> > Adam Ruppe wrote:
> >> I'm not terribly interested in it because I already wrote my own
> >> replacement: http://arsdnet.net/dcode/dom.d
> >>
> >> Mine is biased toward HTML, doing what I personally find useful, or
> >> mimicing what javascript in the browser would do instead of following
> >> the standard, but if there's anything in there that is useful to
> >> others, you're free to take it.
> >
> > Thanks Adam for replying.  I'm happy to take onboard contra-views
> > such as yours as well.  Naturally it is no point in putting in an
> > effort wherein there is no interest at large.
> >
> > Still, I'll wait for more replies on this ng before making any
> > decision whether or not to commit myself to a new "D2 XML" effort.
>
> Clearly std.xml can't stay the way it is. I'm even thinking of removing
> it preemptively in wait for another implementation.

I'd like to cast a vote for a SAX-style parser.  A DOM parser can be built on top of it, and frankly, a SAX parser the only kind I'd ever use.  I'm either working with large streams where building a tree is impractical, or performance is enough of an issue that again, building a tree is impractical.  I have similar feelings about the JSON parser despite it being a pretty solid implementation otherwise.  I'd contribute one if I could, but I did one for work and it just isn't worth the administrative hassle.