Network I/O and streaming in D2

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Tue Jun 29 13:34:50 PDT 2010

As a parallel thread to the current one on std.xml, I've started
this thread to seek a similar discussion on requirements etc..

Recapping what Andrei said over there :-

"If you want to work on the top most important item, probably
networking would come ahead. We badly need http and ftp
streaming libraries. I'm thinking libcurl would be a good choice
as a backend (not interface).  For D integration, it would be great
to  integrate networking with std.stdio.File - e.g. creating
File("http://xyz.org") would just connect to the thing and
allow streaming, ranges, everything. Adam Ruppe has a
lower-level networking protocol that also hooks into
std.stdio.File, which would be very important to have too."

Yes, I agree that libcurl might be a choice as a backend.  Is
its license okay?

 From http://curl.haxx.se/docs/copyright.html

"Curl and libcurl are true Open Source/Free Software and meet all
definitions as such. It means that you are free to modify and
redistribute all contents of the curl distributed archives. You may also
freely use curl and libcurl in your commercial projects.

Curl and libcurl are licensed under a MIT/X derivate license, see below"

<curl-license>
COPYRIGHT AND PERMISSION NOTICE

Copyright (c) 1996 - 2010, Daniel Stenberg, <daniel at haxx.se>.

All rights reserved.

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
purpose
with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY
RIGHTS. IN
NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM,
DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR
OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR
THE USE
OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall not
be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
dealings
in this Software without prior written authorization of the copyright
holder.
</curl-license>

Cheers
Justin Johansson