Network I/O and streaming in D2

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 29 19:39:03 PDT 2010

Robert Jacques wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:26:51 -0400, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> Justin Johansson wrote:
>>> Yes, I agree that libcurl might be a choice as a backend.  Is
>>> its license okay?
>>>   From http://curl.haxx.se/docs/copyright.html
>>
>> Looks ok to me.
>
> It doesn't look okay for Phobos to me. The MIT/new BSD license is not
> BOOST compatible. In particular: "this permission notice appear in all
> copies" which includes binary copies.

I emailed Daniel Stenberg, the author, about that. His reply is:

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Walter Bright wrote:

 > Hello, I'm Walter Bright, the lead developer on the D programming language.
libcurl is the best networking library available, and we'd like to base the D
runtime networking support on it. The only issue, though, is the clause in the
license "provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice
appear in all copies". Does this include binaries? Or does it just apply to the
source code?

Thanks for your interest in libcurl and your question!

The copyright notice is only for the source code, and possibly in the
documentation. It is NOT for the binaries.

I hope you'll find libcurl to do what you need, and I hope you'll discover that
the curl-library is a fine list for help and assistance if or when you're in need!

--

  / daniel.haxx.se