Accessing the symbol table of a mach-o file

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Mar 3 08:02:21 PST 2010

I posted this message in the learn newsgroup without any response, I'm
now hoping to have better response here.

I'm trying to access the symbol table of a mach-o file. I've managed to
access the symbol table but I have two problems:

1. It seems I can't access the whole symbol table if I compare my output
to the output of nm. For example, I have a global struct in the file I'm
examining which doesn't show up in my output. I have a global class that
does show up but not the methods in the class.

2. When I'm printing the string representation (accessed from the string
table) of some of the symbols they don't seem to be complete. For
example "inte" instead of "internal". Then the next symbol I print is
the rest of the previous symbol.

This is the code I have so far, in some kind of pseudo code format:

header = the header of the mach-o file
cmd = cast(load_command*) (cast(byte*) header + size of header)

loop (number of load commands)
{
     cmd = cast(type of command) (cast(byte*) cmd + size of command)

     if (cmd == symbol table command)
         break
}

symbolTable = cast(nlist*) (cast(byte*) header + symbol table offset)
stringTable = cast(char*) (cast(byte*) header + string table offset)

foreach (entry in symbolTable)
{
     symbol = stringTable + string table index
     print symbol
}

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about the above two problems?