An example of Clang error messages

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Mar 5 05:25:20 PST 2010

On 2010-03-05 05:54:56 -0500, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> said:

> It really didn't add much of any useful value, likely because one line
> of source code all by itself just doesn't give enough context. And yes,
> people do use IDEs or editors that parse the error message and put the
> cursor on the correct line, which is far more useful.
>
> One annoying problem with it is each error consumes 3 lines instead of
> one, and stuff you wanted to see got scrolled off the top of the window.

Xcode displays Clang errors by highlighting all the relevant parts in
the source document. For instance, this error:

	clang.c:15:37:{15:34-15:36}: error: no member named 'horisontal'

will display the error as you can see here:

	http://michelf.com/img/shots/xcode-clang-error.png

I agree it isn't great on the command line, but just because something
isn't great on the command line doesn't mean it can't be great
elsewhere. I think it's useful to track this information., even if you
choose to not display it by default.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com