Is D a cult?

grauzone none at example.net
Mon Mar 8 04:51:31 PST 2010

bearophile wrote:
> grauzone:
>> That aside, I'm also glad that you acknowledge that current tuples are
>> not perfect and need improvement.
>
> I agree.
>

>> It's probably already too late to fix them,<
>
> It isn't.

D2 is pretty much finalized now. The discussion (i.e. bikeshedding)
alone to determine how tuples are done right would take much longer than
this.

>> but you could always introduce a second, proper tuple type.<
>
> NO. Not even think about that. Two kinds of tuples in a language is beyond ugly.

The older kind of tuples would be deprecated. In 10 or 20 years, they
could be removed from D completely. It is only needed for compatibility
with older code and because it is in TDPL (which apparently is
considered the specification of D2).

In case TDPL has no dependencies on the "wrong" aspects of the current
tuples, then this historic accident could be avoided.