Is D a cult?

Michael Rynn michaelrynn at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 8 18:25:08 PST 2010

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 06:57:00 -0500, Hamish McTavish wrote:

> Jane Doe Wrote:
>
>> Is D a cult?
>>

> Who you calling a cult?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

Cult pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices could be,
reasonably or unreasonably, considered strange. The term was originally
used to denote a system of ritual practices. The narrower, derogatory
sense of the word is a product of the 20th century, especially since the
1980s, and is a result of the anti-cult movement, which uses the term in
reference to groups seen as authoritarian, exploitative and possibly
dangerous.

>From this I would fairly safely conclude a group of Nerds interested in a
programming language are incapable of being or becoming a cult. It would
be so nice to be dangerous, but there appears to be no chance of that,
apart from how we could have saved the world if only we were not so
engrossed in this little part of it.