Proposal: Multidimensional opSlice solution

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Mar 9 04:21:54 PST 2010

Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Multidimensional arrays are the
> essence of the interfaces of most numerical libraries. Having several
> incompatible standards is a major roadblock for acceptance in the
> numerical community.

I'm not so sure about that. I was very enthusiastic about defining an
infrastructure of arbitary-dimensional arrays, and did a little research
about it. It turns out the applicability of N-dimensional arrays falls
off a cliff when N > 3. In turn, this is because high-dimensional space
are weird - an N-dimensional space is not just like a 3-dimensional one,
only with more dimensions; it's a downright weird beast.

Andrei