Property rewriting; I feel it's important. Is there still time?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Mar 10 02:38:24 PST 2010

Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:05:03 +0000, retard wrote:

> This is so unbelievable. I knew the property stuff was being redesigned
> since there was so much talk in the ng some time ago. But even now, why
> on earth doesn't it work like it should. Is it so hard to copy/steal the
> good ideas from the better languages. Guess how C#/Scala solved this - I
> bet having a PhD helps getting things right the first time..

Heh, after noticing the thread name "D hates to be dynamic linked" I
should have probably renamed this thread with a funnier name such as "D
stubbornly refuses to learn from mistakes and follow the principles of
good language design".

It took C# 4 years to get properties right. That period also included
finishing a complete language specification document, totalling almost
500 pages. The property feature wasn't present in Pizza (2002), but Scala
(2004 ->) had it. It was taken D 11 years to fail again and again
miserably.