Property rewriting; I feel it's important. Is there still time?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Mar 10 07:12:40 PST 2010

Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:53:57 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 03/10/2010 04:38 AM, retard wrote:
>> Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:05:03 +0000, retard wrote:
>>
>>> This is so unbelievable. I knew the property stuff was being
>>> redesigned since there was so much talk in the ng some time ago. But
>>> even now, why on earth doesn't it work like it should. Is it so hard
>>> to copy/steal the good ideas from the better languages. Guess how
>>> C#/Scala solved this - I bet having a PhD helps getting things right
>>> the first time..
>>>

>> Heh, after noticing the thread name "D hates to be dynamic linked" I
>> should have probably renamed this thread with a funnier name such as "D
>> stubbornly refuses to learn from mistakes and follow the principles of
>> good language design".
>>
>> It took C# 4 years to get properties right. That period also included
>> finishing a complete language specification document, totalling almost
>> 500 pages. The property feature wasn't present in Pizza (2002), but
>> Scala (2004 ->) had it. It was taken D 11 years to fail again and again
>> miserably.
>
> I am having difficulty understanding what you are trying to convey.
>
> Andrei

People very rarely find any issues worth complaining in the property
system implementations of those languages. I also forgot to mention
Object Pascal. Does this mean that C#/Scala/Pascal users are just
complaining less or are their property systems just better? When a new
system is adopted by D, does anyone really analyze the large body of
existing work done on the field. We don't live in a dark and closed
barrel, we can learn from others and try to avoid common problems.

e.g. to me a

> object.field += something;

/is/ a rather fundamental part of any property system. It's really
surprising that it still doesn't work..