[OT] Thunderbird 3 vs. 2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Mar 10 15:53:33 PST 2010

The kick-off meeting for Thunderbird 3:

"Thunderbird 2 is quite sluggish, has poor asynchronous execution of
tasks, poor focus control, and annoying modal dialogs on error. What do
we do for version 3?"

"Let's build on all that! We'll make Thunderbird 3 even more sluggish
even on the best of machines. Let them wait for second with an old
screen whenever they click on something."

"Excellent! While we're at it, let's make the selection colors such that
the user never knows where the focus is. That, combined with the
slugishness of the UI, will go a great job at confusing people."

"And how about this - let's even insert large delays at random while the
user is typing an email. There's nothing better than typing out of sync
with the screen!"

"Awesome! To make the deal sweeter, we'll replace the useful filter
functionality with a full-blown search. That would require us to index
all emails in the background thus making things even slower, and will
confuse the heck out of everyone."

"Go Thunderbird 3!"

Sigh.

Andrei