[OT] Thunderbird 3 vs. 2

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Mar 10 21:59:18 PST 2010

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:hna05f$14b8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
> news:hn9be6$3128$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> The kick-off meeting for Thunderbird 3:
>>
>> "Thunderbird 2 is quite sluggish, has poor asynchronous execution of
>> tasks, poor focus control, and annoying modal dialogs on error. What do
>> we do for version 3?"
>>
>> "Let's build on all that! We'll make Thunderbird 3 even more sluggish
>> even on the best of machines. Let them wait for second with an old screen
>> whenever they click on something."
>>
>> "Excellent! While we're at it, let's make the selection colors such that
>> the user never knows where the focus is. That, combined with the
>> slugishness of the UI, will go a great job at confusing people."
>>
>> "And how about this - let's even insert large delays at random while the
>> user is typing an email. There's nothing better than typing out of sync
>> with the screen!"
>>
>> "Awesome! To make the deal sweeter, we'll replace the useful filter
>> functionality with a full-blown search. That would require us to index
>> all emails in the background thus making things even slower, and will
>> confuse the heck out of everyone."
>>
>> "Go Thunderbird 3!"
>>

> That's exactly how I feel about 90% of software these days.
>
> (In that light, it's probably no surprise why I'm so damn bitchy and
> stubborn about things so much of the time ;) )

Come to think of it, Mozilla can just do exactly what Epic did in that
situation:

Optimization, downward-scalability and targeting *normal*
hardwa^W^W^W^W^W^W^W...Form an "alliance" with hardware companies to try to
cram even more overpowered hardware down the necks of average Joe's all
while pretending to be doing their prospective users a favor.