[OT] Thunderbird 3 vs. 2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Mar 12 09:04:22 PST 2010

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:17:36 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> On 03/12/2010 06:55 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> Give a little break here, you are loading almost 500,000 headers :) I
>>> use opera for newsgroups, and day-to-day use is pretty good. Yes, the
>>> first time you set it up, if you ask it to download all headers (which I
>>> did because I want to be able to search on old articles), then it takes
>>> a bit. In other words, when you are downloading a day's or even a week's
>>> worth of messages, the sync problem is not noticable.
>>
>> There is only one level of tolerance for that kind of major goofiness,
>> and that is zero. The screenshot I sent was not taken while
>> Thunderbird is blocked - you can still change the selection in the
>> list or the tree. The only problem is that the message pane does not
>> change for a long time.
>>
>> The flow on selection change is very simple:
>>
>> 1. Display "wait" cue in the message pane.
>>
>> 2. Fetch the message immediately with top priority.
>>
>> 3. Display the message in the message pane.
>>
>> Step 2 is another huge reason of annoyance with both Thunderbird and
>> Opera. As far as I can tell, if they are downloading headers in the
>> background, user actions have bottom priority. I want to see a
>> message, I click, and then I wait and wait and wait. It's like a
>> worker who can't tend to an urgent task because of doing drawer
>> cleanup! The right behavior is to pause everything that's going on if
>> that would slow down the user.
>>
>> The fact that the responsiveness of the interface is so dependent on
>> the connection activity is only one extra _fault_ of the engineers,
>> not a reason to cut them some slack.
>
> Sure, but What I'm telling you is, you are talking about an unusual
> circumstance, one that you should not encounter every day. I agree it
> could be done better, but at least for me, I can tolerate an initial
> annoyance if the product works fine afterwards. It's like the D download
> requiring me to chmod the binaries. Annoying once, could be better, but
> does not really get in the way of day-to-day activities.
>
>>> One thing it does do which I think could be better is as it downloads
>>> messages, it threads them individually. This probably explains why it
>>> takes so long to download all the headers. I suppose it does this so you
>>> can read messages as others are downloading, but obviously this is not
>>> possible ;)
>>>
>>> I chose opera over thunderbird because, well, I can't remember why, but
>>> I think it had something to do with being able to download all the
>>> messages. Or maybe it threads them better. One command to memorize is
>>> the 'g' key, which marks the current message as read and goes to the
>>> next unread message.
>>
>> Thanks, that's a useful shortcut.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, however, I'm unable to use Opera for news.
>> Yesterday I exited Opera before having downloaded all headers. Today I
>> started it and it seems to be in an infinite loop. The status bar says
> [...]

Good point, and I'm glad that there's work being done on dmd installers
for Windows and Linux.

In the end I managed to get out of the wrong state. I don't know how.
Later on (after a couple of restarts), I got into a state where I could
see a recent message header, but nothing in the display pane. So I
changed the selection and saw some quite hilarious message:

http://erdani.com/opera-many-new-messages.jpg

Andrei