[OT] Thunderbird 3 vs. 2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Mar 12 09:08:32 PST 2010

>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:17:36 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

>>> There is only one level of tolerance for that kind of major goofiness,
>>> and that is zero. The screenshot I sent was not taken while
>>> Thunderbird is blocked - you can still change the selection in the
>>> list or the tree. The only problem is that the message pane does not
>>> change for a long time.
>>>
>>> The flow on selection change is very simple:
>>>
>>> 1. Display "wait" cue in the message pane.
>>>
>>> 2. Fetch the message immediately with top priority.
>>>
>>> 3. Display the message in the message pane.
>>>
>>> Step 2 is another huge reason of annoyance with both Thunderbird and
>>> Opera. As far as I can tell, if they are downloading headers in the
>>> background, user actions have bottom priority. I want to see a
>>> message, I click, and then I wait and wait and wait. It's like a
>>> worker who can't tend to an urgent task because of doing drawer
>>> cleanup! The right behavior is to pause everything that's going on if
>>> that would slow down the user.
>>>
>>> The fact that the responsiveness of the interface is so dependent on
>>> the connection activity is only one extra _fault_ of the engineers,
>>> not a reason to cut them some slack.
>>
>> Sure, but What I'm telling you is, you are talking about an unusual
>> circumstance, one that you should not encounter every day. I agree it
>> could be done better, but at least for me, I can tolerate an initial
>> annoyance if the product works fine afterwards. It's like the D download
>> requiring me to chmod the binaries. Annoying once, could be better, but
>> does not really get in the way of day-to-day activities.

>>> Thanks, that's a useful shortcut.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, however, I'm unable to use Opera for news.
>>> Yesterday I exited Opera before having downloaded all headers. Today I
>>> started it and it seems to be in an infinite loop. The status bar says
>>> "Connecting", then "Authenticating", then "Fetching Groups". It has
>>> done so for ten minutes and is not making any progress in terms of
>>
>> That seems sucky. I haven't tried that, but I'll remember not to...
>>
>> I have managed to get opera hung in a similar state, but usually a
>> restart fixes it. It's certainly not perfect software. But it's better
>> than everything else I've tried for newsgroups anyways. If you find
>> something better, please share.
>>
>>> Oh, and yesterday I crashed Opera twice. Even Thunderbird does not
>>> have such instabilities.
>>>
>>> Update: as I finished this post, the toolbar stopped oscillating and
>>> Opera went in a quiescent state. According to it, the last message was
>>> sent on 04/26/2004. Changing the selected newsgroup makes it start
>>> oscillating again, and again without making any progress.
>>
>> You put opera in a weird state. This can be true of any software. Even
>> your precious Apple made such shit happen with iTunes once on my
>> computer. An upgrade (triggered by their popup-based downloader)
> [...]

NEWSFLASH

I swear that right after I sent the message above, I clicked "OK" to
download "ALL" those 3 messages and the next thing I saw was this (I
wish I was kidding):

http://erdani.com/opera-crash.jpg

It's not impossible the code that handles the "All" download assumes the
actual number of messages is greater than 250...

Andrei