[OT] Thunderbird 3 vs. 2

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 12 12:18:59 PST 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> OE (at least as of the last time I used it) is much worse than TB, no
> question about that. One simple matter - you can't archive messages
> without using the mouse. As bad as Thunderbird is, it is way more
> productive than OE.

What drove me away from OE was the inability to backup/restore its
database. (OE tries to hide the database in hidden directories with
long-strings-o-garbage path names.)

Even if you backed up / restored those hidden files, OE still was
screwed up because it also stored critical information in the registration.

Further blows against OE were storing its database in a secret format.
No way am I going to have business critical data stored in a secret
format. Thunderbird's database is a text file, so even if TB vanishes in
a puff of smoke I can still extract my data.