Templates everywhere

Philippe Sigaud philippe.sigaud at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 14:30:01 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 19:37, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> I have had other things in the past though. When I first moved from BASIC
> C (forever ago) I couldn't understand the usefulness of pointers (all the
> examples I saw in books seemed to do nothing more than create a redundant
> alias for a varaible that already existed in the same scope). Then I read
> some books about game development (on DOS), which involved a lot of storing
> data in buffers. That got me to understand how (at least in C) an array is
> just a pointer to a buffer but with prettier syntax, and then it all
> finally
> clicked.

I must have had bad experiences with pointers, because even now I cringe
whenever I use one. I get the feeling I'm walking on ice, or something.
That's strange because they were almost the first thing they taught me in CS
courses a long time ago. You'd think I'd get used to them.

Eh, when I use string mixins in D, I feel dirty, as if I was cheating
somehow.  Like, using cheat codes or something.
I do not have this impression when doing macros in Lisp.

Philippe