C++0x news

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Mar 15 14:45:04 PDT 2010

anton smith wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>
>> Hi Herb! It's hard to find anything truly original in language design,
>> somebody somewhere always did something sorta like it first somewhere
>> else. Most of D's features are inspired by features from a long list of
>> languages, some alive, some dead.
>
> For some reason Oleg Kiselyov often finds original ideas in language design and its usage.

I don't know enough about Haskell to comment on that. But I do know that there's
a lot of grey area between an original idea and something similar that was done
before. How different must it be before it is considered "original"?

That's one of the reasons the software patent system is busted.

There's a lot of patentable stuff in D (not just my ideas, but some ideas from
others, too), but I've chosen not to attempt to patent them.