trouble getting started with D

Andrew Marlow marlow.andrew at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 18 03:12:39 PDT 2010

I would like to start using D but am running into some problems. I am using 64 bit ubuntu, Karmic Koala. I tried using the GNU D compiler (gdc) but even a hello world type program core dumps in the print statement. So I tried ldc but it complains that it can't import std.stdio. So I tried the Digital Mars compiler and I couldn't get it to install. The deb file says it is for the wrong architecture. Presumably it is for 32 bit and I am on 64 so no go.

Where do I go from here? I would really like to try it? If there is a 64 bit install for ubuntu can someone post a URL please?