trouble getting started with D

Thu Mar 18 04:32:25 PDT 2010

Andrew Marlow wrote:
> I would like to start using D but am running into some problems. I am using 64 bit ubuntu, Karmic Koala. I tried using the GNU D compiler (gdc) but even a hello world type program core dumps in the print statement. So I tried ldc but it complains that it can't import std.stdio. So I tried the Digital Mars compiler and I couldn't get it to install. The deb file says it is for the wrong architecture. Presumably it is for 32 bit and I am on 64 so no go.
>
> Where do I go from here? I would really like to try it? If there is a 64 bit install for ubuntu can someone post a URL please?

Hi!

The 32-bit DMD compiler works fine on 64-bit Ubuntu, even though the
.deb file is marked as i386.  Try this:

   dpkg -i --force-architecture dmd_2.041-0_i386.deb

Note that since the compiler is 32-bit, it only works with 32-bit
libraries.  You must therefore install the following packages:

sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib libc6-i386 libc6-dev-i386

In addition, you might like to install the ia32-libs package, as it
contains 32-bit versions of a bunch of libraries.

-Lars