trouble getting started with D

Thu Mar 18 06:06:43 PDT 2010

Andrew Marlow wrote:
> bearophile Wrote:
>
>> Andrew Marlow Wrote:
>>> So I tried ldc but it complains that it can't import std.stdio.<
>> ldc is a D1 compiler that comes with Tango standard lib, so it doesn't have the std.stdio. You have to use Tango I/O functions.
>
> Well, thanks for that, at least I know now. But I am a bit peeved. What is the point in calling something 'std' if it is not standard. I am used to 'std' meaning 'it comes with the compiler environment'.

Back in the days, some people found D1's standard library, Phobos (aka.
the std namespace), a bit too simplistic, and so they went and created
an alternative "standard library", Tango:

   http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango

Some see this as a problem, but personally I don't agree.  If you prefer
a simple, C-like standard library, use Phobos.  If you prefer a more
comprehensive Java-like standard library, use Tango.  (Before, you could
even use both together, with the 'tangobos' package, which I believe is
outdated now.)

Or just switch to D2, for which the "problem" doesn't exist.  There is
only Phobos2, and it has become a lot more extensive than Phobos1.  And
you can expect major improvements to Phobos over the next few months
since the language itself now has been frozen.

-Lars