dmdz

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 18 10:26:46 PDT 2010

On 03/18/2010 11:39 AM, Ellery Newcomer wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 11:32 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> On 18/03/10 01:17, Ellery Newcomer wrote:
>>> I was kind of hoping others would try it and give their opinions, but
>>> apparently nobody else cares. Or they're on vacation, like I should be.
>>> Or they're giving the infamous 'silent approval'. Who knows.
>>
>> I'm usually one of those, but seen as you asked... It looks good :) I
>> haven't had chance to try it yet, but a simple tool like this could be
>> really useful. I don't have the same reservations as Andrei about the
>> amount of code/how it's done... If it does its job it's good enough for
>> me :)
>>
>> One thing I would like to know, are there plans for file formats other
>> than .zip? You can generally get files less than half the size with
>> faster compression/decompression times using other formats... would
>> adding support for them (.tar.xz, .tar.gz) be too much extra hassle?
>
> It would only involve building support for those formats into phobos :)
>
> I actually had the same thought after I saw Walter's suggestion for a
> std.archive. If I have time, I'd like to make it happen.

Heh, incidentally I just needed a tar reader a few days ago, so I wrote
an embryo of a base class etc. I'll add it soon.

The basic interface is:

(a) open the archive

(b) get an input range for it. The range iterates over archive entries.

(c) You can look at archive info, and if you want to extract you can get
a .byChunk() range to extract it. That's also an input range.

For now I'm only concerned with reading... writing needs to be added.

Andrei